Saturday 4 June 2011

I am a "Cyclist".....


There. I said it.

I
Am
A
Cyclist

I've ridden a bike since I was a kid, but the last few years, I've ridden a bike a lot more than I've walked places I think.

Prior to now, I've always considered myself a "runner", even when I've been training for bike specific or multi sport events, "I'm Anna B - I am a runner"

Looking back over the last two years, how many events have I done? Possible 20 - 30? How many of them have been solely run races? One. That's how many - and it was that insignificant I've not even got round to writing a report on it yet (It was 3 months ago in case you wondered)

I joined cycling clubs to progress as a duathlete/triathlete - for no other reason than that; it's an aside to being a runner you see... cross training I called it.

In the last 3 years I've gone through several bikes....

1) My trusty Raleigh Max - I got this aged 15, and it was a super cool red mountain bike with bar ends (this is all I needed to know about it) I still own it but it's on loan to a friend now.
Now I can tell you this is a 21 speed shimano rigid aluminium frame mountain bike, with v brakes and twist shifters.

2) "Claude" - My first road bike (there's a story in here too but I'm saving this for my book should I ever finish it - queen of procrastination) a Claude Butler "Criterium" - it was a black, red and white "racer"

3) "Claude Mk2"-  My 2nd road bike - 3 days after Claude Butler 1 was written off, a replacement was made.
Now I can tell you this was a 14 speed shimano aluminium frame with drop handlebars, and steel forks.

4) "Pete's Blue Bike"  - This wasn't strictly mine, it was a loan from a kind man from road club (generous of him to lend me his spare bike, considering I wasn't even a cyclist); he told me Claude wasn't good enough to race on you see.... apparently I was going to "Time Trial" - whatever that was! So this bike was a beautiful blue Massi that went like a rocket!

By now, I was commuting everyday to work - it was cheaper than driving you see and the endorphins were pretty cool to get to work on too...During the days of the Massi, Claude grew dusty and neglected and eventually found his way on to the turbo trainer (which was weird of me to have since I'm was runner)

5) "B"  Introducing Carbon...... I'd now begun to learn a bit about bikes, it's easy to pick up bits and bobs when you're out riding with those cycling types. The company I work for introduced the Cycle to work Scheme, which allowed you to spend up to £1000 on a bike/safety equipment and pay it off over 12 months tax free. Which to me, was a no brainer, I could get a bike better than the Massi and pay it off at a manageable rate.
So I went to my local bike shop and soon found myself the proud owner of the most beautiful bike I'd ever set eyes on, an aluminium carbon Bianchi Nirone.

6)  "The Bianchott" - A friend very kindly gave me a Scott bike after the demise of "B" during another RTA, the set up was Shimano and I didnt' much like it, so a friend helped me to dismantle what remained of B and the Scott and we put B's parts on the Scott making a super Scott - I also learnt a lot about bike maintenance that day.

7) "Willy" - Full carbon ahoy! The next bike was a product of a the sad day mentioned above; an insurance claim + some savings ensured an upgrade to a full carbon (almost as beautiful) Wilier, Mortirolo
Campagnola Veloce brakes and cassette, full carbon frame and forks.
I still remember that first ride on her, I put my foot down on the pedal and the acceleration was like nothing I'd ever experienced! WOW!

8) "The Black Pony" - So I had these road bikes, which I converted to triathlon positions when I raced and I knew that after doing the Ironman event I would need a healthy activity to keep me going, a friend said they had a mountain bike going for sale - I had a look, it looked "fine" it had suspension. I wasn't really sure what that meant being a runner and only riding road bikes now, but it must be good because the red raleigh max didn't have that.
21 speed shimano, 100mm travel suntour forks, disc brakes,
oh the disc brakes!!! You could stop in an instant!

Sold. To the girl with no idea.

9) "La Lapierre" - Cycle to work scheme came around again and it seemed silly to turn down another great offer, so since I was enjoying a bit of  off roading I decided to upgrade my mountain bike with a new one. I didn't know much about mountain bikes, I wanted a pretty one I guess.....
Alloy Hardtail; Suntour100mm forks with lockout, 27 speed shimano deore, hydraulic brakes

10) "My Big Bouncy One" - not satisfied with 3 bikes getting regular use, there was something missing from the collection. I was having great fun on the trails with the Hard Tail, but what better way to enjoy rocky descents than on a Full Suspension Mountain bike! After Demo'ing one I had half decided on my friend dropped it round and we set up the rebound and pressure on the shocks - but wait, there wasn't just front forks, there was rear suspension too!
Aluminium125mm travel fox forks, 5 inch fox floats, Shimano 30 speed SLX, Elixir brakes. (and my favourite bits, it had blue cables and finishing touches)

I *only* have the 4 bikes in my possession now, it should be known (plus a unicycle and the raleigh out on loan) but last night on tidying my flat, I discovered that I own more cycling kit than most anything else. 3 pairs of cycling shoes, spare wheels, spare tyres, inner tubes, tool kits, 3 spare sets of pedals, brake cables,  helmets, drawers filled with cycling clothing, lights, tri bars, waterproofs, food cabinets containing sports nutrition, drinks cages, bottles, saddles, pumps

  • I have one pair of running shoes.
  • I have cycled over 1000 miles in the last month
  • I have spent 24 hours on my bike this week
  • I spend more time talking, thinking about bikes than anything else
  • I've been choosing road club on a Wednesday instead of Running club
  • I use cream on my arse more than on my face.
  • I don't go anywhere without my bike bottle
  • I have cycling short tan lines
  • I think nothing of having helmet hair
  • In my handbag the other day I pulled out a pedal spanner and a multi tool
  • My holiday this year is a 4 day bike race in France

My Name is Anna and I am a cyclist.

2 comments: